Dumbbells are one of the most practical and versatile exercise equipment used in strength building. What is good about this equipment is that you can use it either inside the gym or even at home. In fact, there are countless exercises that you can utilize together with your dumbbell workout.
But before anything else, it is important for you to know and understand why home dumbbell workout is good for you. Apart from that, you also need to have self-awareness when it comes to safety measures while you are doing your dumbbell exercises in order for you to successfully avoid any potential injuries.
This guide aims to help you understand the advantages of home dumbbell fitness and to get you motivated when doing it at home. Furthermore, in the latter part of this article, we have provided an example of home dumbbell workout program that you can follow and utilize efficiently in your own dwelling.
Advantage # 1: Convenience
Doing your dumbbell training at home is rather convenient than doing it inside the gym. You no longer need to go from one room to another and wait for your turn in using another exercise machine or free weights. Plus, you can train anytime and all you want inside any room in your house.
Advantage # 2: Time
Exercising at home is not just convenient; it is time-saving as well which is well-suited for your hectic schedule. For instance, if you are a busy person and hitting the gym is not included on your to-do list for the day, no worries because you can exercise on your own convenience.
In fact, home dumbbell workout is great for people who do not have time to go to the gym. What you need is just a set of dumbbells and a timer. By the time you have all the equipment needed for your training, you may then start performing your dumbbell exercises for less than 30 minutes.
Advantage # 3: Space
Inside a gym, you may see a lot of exercise equipment in every corner of the place. You may also see a number of exercise trainees at every section, and there are those who are waiting for their turn as well. Imagine how inconvenient could that be.
Space is one of the reasons why a few of us prefer to do our workout at home. We are free from any hassles and of course, have enough space to perform our workout properly and efficiently.
Advantage # 4: Flexibility
If we decide to do our dumbbell workout at home, we have a wide range of chances to do other things while performing our routine. For example, if you feel like doing your dumbbell workout and at the same time you feel like watching your favorite TV show by now, then why don’t you try doing both at the same time? You may do dumbbell lifting while watching TV in your living room or while waiting for the pasta to get cooked.
Advantage # 5: Free
The greatest advantage of home dumbbell workout is that you are able to train for free. Indeed, no walk-in costs, no membership fees, no hassles, and as a result, you are able to save yourself from expenses.
Home Dumbbell Workout Exercise Program
Provided here is an example training program for your dumbbell workout:
Exercise: Dumbbell Arm Curl
- Sit or stand while holding a dumbbell in each hand in a hammer grip manner.
- Position your feet tightly, a little less than your shoulder width apart.
- Prop the abdominal muscles and then inhale. Then, get ready for the movement.
- Bend your right elbow while you rotate your arm with your palms facing upward. Then raise the dumbbell to your shoulder.
- Position your dumbbell horizontally with your forearm pointing upward and your thumbs outward.
- Lower your dumbbell to go back to the starting position and raise your left arm with the same movement. Then, do the movement alternately in a smooth chain.
Be reminded of the following while doing this dumbbell workout:
- Select a weight that fits your program. Bear in mind that you need to complete the number of exercises without losing form.
- Do not sway backward or forward when you are lifting and returning to the starting position. This uses the momentum that aids the lifting and are regarded as a cheating technique. A bit of cheating is fine, but try to do your best to keep a good form with your body upright. You also need to control your lifting movement, thus, avoid doing it too fast. Remember, the slower, the better.
- You have three options in doing this exercise: sitting on a bench, sitting on a chair, or performing with both arms in simultaneous motion.
Important Note: Do some warm-ups and stretching or some light cardio and a few lifts before you start exercising. You need to be in good condition when performing this workout to prevent any injury.
Therefore, home dumbbell workout is just perfect for you if you are looking for a cost-effective and convenient way of exercising that would not take up too much of your time. You may try this training program anytime at home.